Tuesday, June 1, 2010

I'm a volunteer for the BP oil spill?

So I went to the BP website that they created for the oil spill going on in the gulf right now. They have various phone numbers on the right hand side of the page. You can call to become a volunteer or to register your professional services.

I AM a professional...being a nurse I thought they might possibly have some need for medical personnel at some point, so I called. They seemed very excited and took down my information. Then, they informed me that they have no need for medical personnel. What? The guy told me that he put me down as a volunteer and I would either be in an office or pre-treating beaches before oil spilled up onto them. He said I could also work with the wildlife but as a volunteer I wouldn't be able to work directly with the wildlife or touch it. So what would I do then? lol.

I can't really afford to quit everything and just volunteer down there. I felt tricked as I clearly explained that I was a nurse and was wondering if they needed nurses. The guy said it was great that I was a nurse and then proceeded to get my information. Oh well. My husband says that now I'll be stuck going if they call me. He said they'll probably say we had a verbal contract and threaten to sue me if I don't go down there if they end up calling me. That would be my luck. lol.

What do you guys think? I hope everyone is having a great day!

Here's the official BP oil spill website in case anyone is interested. Just click here.

1 comment:

  1. Prepare to be surrounded by some seriously far left tree huggers if it is anything like the Exxon Valdez clean-up effort. You'll be singing Kumbaya every night around a campfire on the oil soaked beach. It's a nice thought - but I wouldn't do it ... trust your Paratrooper Husband to lead you in the right direction. ;) Your talents are better served back her with your patients. :)

    ReplyDelete