Wednesday, March 17, 2010

Jail Nursing Video

Hi Everyone!

I posted a blog the other day about jail nursing, and wanted to post this video that I found on Youtube about the profession. I obviously don't work at this jail in the video, but my jail is very similar. I think the only exception is that we don't have our own x-ray machine to screen for Tuberculosis. We actually give a PPD to each inmate which is the skin test for Tuberculosis screening. 0.1 mL of Tuberculin serum is placed right under the skin on the inside of the forearm and we wait 48-72 hours to see if a skin reaction occurs. If a skin reaction DOES occur, then we call a facility who then comes with a portable x-ray machine to the jail, or the inmate is sent out to have this x-ray. Also, we do not have a doctor present 7 days per week. We have a nurse practitioner who comes once per week to follow-up with inmates who need further medical care, have seen him previously for a condition, or who is not responding to treatment that the nurses have provided. Please watch the video. It's a great informative video, and accurately describes the everyday routine of jail nursing! Let me know what you think, and if you have any more questions and I'll be sure to answer! Also, I'm going to blog a couple of very interesting personal jail experiences very soon! You definitely don't want to miss that!!


2 comments:

  1. Innnnteresting. Thanks for sharing this.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh, no problem at all. Thanks for checking it out. It's such a misunderstood field that I'm happy to shed some light on it. Thanks again!

    ReplyDelete